There are four main species of cockroach that are the cause of the most problems in the US; German, Brown-banded, American and Oriental. They are all tough customers to get rid of as they are extremely resilient.
This is why it often makes sense to call in a pest control service to help you deal with a cockroach problem. They have the knowledge and tools to do a professional and efficient job. Once your home is cockroach free, there are things that you can do to make sure that it stays that way.
Are cockroaches really that harmful?
The fact is that having cockroaches in your home is not good for your health or the health of anyone else who lives there. There are several reasons why this is the case.
- Cockroaches can defecate on food items.
- Bacteria can be spread by cockroaches crawling across work surfaces.
- Anyone who suffers from a breathing condition like asthma can experience a worsening of their condition if cockroaches are present.
These are just some of the problems that cockroaches can cause. You can see why it makes sense to try and prevent them from entering your home, and to deal with them without delay if they do take up residence.
How to prevent cockroach problems and deal with them if they happen
You can never be completely certain that cockroaches will not invade your home. However, you can make your home less attractive to them and make it more difficult for them to gain entry.
- Make sure that all food preparation areas are thoroughly cleaned after use, so that no scraps of food are left behind, to provide a tasty meal for cockroaches.
- Never leave any food uncovered and unattended to. Cockroaches may crawl over it and contaminate it without you ever being aware.
- Repair cracks in the exterior walls of your property. It does not matter how small the cracks are, they can provide a point of entry for cockroaches.
- Make sure that any kitchen leftovers go straight into a covered kitchen bin which is emptied every day.
- Do not leave areas of damp or leaks unattended to. Cockroaches thrive in damp conditions.
- Call a professional pest control service to help with your cockroach problem if you are unable to deal with it, or you do not want to take action yourself.
All of these tips can be put to use to remove cockroaches from your home and/or make sure that they do not gain entry. Never ignore seeing cockroaches in your property and just hope they will go away of their own accord; this is unlikely to happen. Do not forget that cockroaches look for a home where there is plenty of food and moisture. You need to make sure that your home is not somewhere they are likely to find these conditions. Doing so makes it less likely that you will have a cockroach problem to deal with.